Friday evening begins with Dr. Thomas Cavanaugh, author of Hippocrates' Oath and Asclepius' Snake: The Birth of the Medical Profession. He will be speaking on the Hippocratic Oath and the Profession of Medicine. This session is followed by 'hard case' discussions on challenging ethical questions led by Dr. Kiely Williams, Dr. Will Johnston and Dr. Luke Savage. The evening ends with a networking social.
This day is jam-packed with excellent speakers, including Dr. David D'Souza on the impact of MAID in Palliative Care and Dr. Rene Leiva on issues in fertility. We also discuss legal/medical issues with lawyers Dylan McGuinty and Albertos Polizogopoulos. Jonathon Van Maren, Blaise Alleyne and Stephanie Gray will also tackle abortion and euthanasia. The evening will end with a banquet with keynote Stephanie Gray speaking on Courage: When Boldness Faces Fear
Sunday morning we will hear from Dr. Dan Reilly on Navigating the Medical Profession as a pro-life student and physician. Dr. George Delgado will speak about his research on the Abortion Reversal Protocol. There will be breakout sessions for students and physicians. The morning will end with a patient perspective presented by Christina Fast on living with Trisomy 21.
- Conference Schedule at a Glance
- Courage: When Boldness Faces Fear (Stephanie Gray)
- The Hippocratic Oath and the Profession of Medicine (Professor Tom Cavanaugh)
- Asking Good Questions in Tough Situations (Dr. Kiely Williams)
- Panel: Responding to Ethical Challenges (Dr. Will Johnston, Dr. Luke Savage, Dr. Dan Reilly)
- Conscience Rights in Canada: Update on the Law (Albertos Polizogopoulos)
- Unpacking the Council of Canadian Academies Reports on MAID (Dr. Natasha Fernandes and Dylan McGuinty)
- Talking About Assisted Suicide with Clarity and Compassion (Stephanie Gray)
- The Impact of MAiD on Palliative Care (Dr. David D'Souza)
- Talking about Abortion (Jonathon Van Maren and Blaise Alleyne)
- The Abortion Pill Reversal Protocol (Dr. George Delgado)
- Non-Contraceptive Alternatives to Family Planning and Infertility (Dr. Rene Leiva)
- Dinner with a Doctor (Pre-Conference Event)
- Navigating the Hospital, Clinic and Your Practice (Dr. Dan Reilly)
- How to be a Pro-Life Medical Student (Dr. Ryan Wilson)
- How to Choose the Right Specialty (Dr. Dan Reilly)
- This is Life - Trisomy 21 (Christina Fast)
Medical students and residents will have an opportunity to have dinner with pro-life physicians at this pre-conference event. This is a valuable opportunity for students and physicians to connect one-on-one for networking and informal mentorship. Students and physicians will be seated in groups of 4-6 for dinner.
This event will take place from 4:00 to 5:30 pm on Friday, October 25th at the Brookstreet Hotel
Participants are responsible for purchasing their own meal. Canadian Physicians for Life has negotiated a lower-cost dinner menu for our students than what is presented on the restaurant website. Students with allergies or food restrictions will be accommodated. Physicians and students may of course order off their standard menu.
You will register for this event when you register for the conference or when you apply for student sponsorship.